Today social media is one of the important tools of online marketing. Some interesting facts have come up from an industry report on a study conducted last year on “How Marketers are using Social Media to grow their Business”.
Salient points from a recent research
Following are a few findings from the said report:
- Marketers place very high value on social media: A significant 92% of marketers indicate that social media is important for their business, up from 86% in the year 2013.
- Blogging holds the top spot for future plans: A significant 68% of marketers plan on increasing their use of blogging, making it the top social marketing area for investment.
- Podcasting on growth trajectory: Only 6% of marketers are involved with podcasting, yet 21% plan on increasing their podcasting activities in—a more than three-fold increase—and 28% of marketers want to learn more about it.
- Most marketers aren’t sure their Facebook marketing is effective: Only 34% of marketers (slightly more than one in three) think that their Facebook efforts are effective.
- Original written content is most important for social media marketing: A significant 58% of marketers stated that original written content is the single most important form of content, followed by original visual assets (19%).
The above statistics will give us a general insight into the form and direction the social media marketing may take in the coming years.
Growth of Social Media
Social media has encroached into everybody’s life and has become an integral part of all those who are connected to the internet today. It is now part of mainstream communication.
Catching on the trend, marketers have jumped in and engaged themselves on these platforms to effectively develop and nurture online communities of their brand. In a complete role reversal to conventional marketing, marketers realized that by becoming a part of the discussion and focusing on the community, rather than their brand (which they normally do by shouting their marketing messages), they are getting better headway in their efforts.
Marketing in Social Media
Marketers are getting better results and conversion rates are higher when they engage themselves with online communities on social media. Companies are now investing their time and effort to build such communities and customer service is one such group which is built in to promote the product and service of a company. A great amount of focus is attached to these groups on social media and it is relevant from what I recently read on the internet that “You’re no longer competing against other companies; you’re competing against the user’s mom, sister, friends and coworkers”.
Social media marketing has to be worked out based on your specialized field and consider the size of the community and the niche of your market. Its better to start small and build and expand slowly from there. Set goals which can be achieved and make sense for your organizations.
Future of Social Media
Social Media is now a major part of any online marketing strategy and will continue to grow big in the years to come. Many changes are happening in social networks with the adaptation and development happening in the technology field. As the social media marketing industry continues its massive expansion, the methods and tactics of marketers also need to be evolved accordingly.