Attunement in marketing is not a commonly used term in the industry. Attunement is described to be “at-tunes with” and it literally means to bring into a harmonious or responsive relationship between the brand and the customer. An example would be the way a social media channel performs perfectly attuned to its followers.
Attunement in marketing is a quality that every sales person should have. Even though this isn’t a common word used in marketing circles, it plays an important role in every selling process.
Attunement is the ability to bring a marketer’s actions in harmony with the nature and character of the brand’s prospective customers. Simplifying it further – it is like walking a mile in customers shoes and understanding them better and having clarity on what all could lead to their decision making process. Attunement in marketing will help a marketer or brand to showcase their products in accordance to the customer’s needs.
Perfect attunement in marketing is something which brings harmony to the groups or individuals whom the marketer want to make his customers.
It is not easy to carry a clear and unbiased attunement in marketing industry – especially with all the biased and strong affiliations a marketer may have about his product and his company. There are three essential principles required to perfect attunement in marketing.
- The marketer has to see things from the perspective of his customer. If this is not the case, there is no scope for effective attunement to happen.
- A marketer has to see how his customer is influenced in his decision making process in order to remodel his marketing ideas and suggestions.
- A marketer has to understand and realize all the group dynamics that play in leading the path of his customer.
It can be reasonably assumed that having attunement plays a huge role in every marketing effort – be it a sales pitch, content marketing or social media – or any other touch point which a marketer have with a prospective customer.
Attunement in marketing will help a marketer or brand to showcase their products in accordance to the customer’s needs.
A study held recently involving huge number of sales people, came up with Five major suggestions on improving the level of attunement in marketing. These tips which are given below can be used in marketing efforts by every marketer.
- Starting a conversation is the most basic of getting acquainted with a customer. Every sale begins with a conversation.
- Marketers should observe his customer’s nature and try to mimic his approach back to him. It should not be too obvious to the prospective customer and must be done subtly. Normally people get easily attached to others who tend to have a nature like them.
- Understand the subtleties of a conversation. Map who talks the most and what is the mood and atmosphere of the dialogues. Perfect attunement comes from having a clear understanding of the situation.
- Underline and understand that customer is the most important person of a business – and this goes for the conversation you are having with him. So lead your conversation considering his needs and preferences.
- Try and identify commonalities that can be stressed in every communication a marketer has with his customer. People are always influenced by someone they have something to share in common with.
In short, attunement in marketing is something which brings an harmony to the groups or individuals whom the marketer want to make his customers. A reasonable success can be achieved by getting attuned with prospective customers which can be measured by the success made in marketing results. A marketer should use attunement in all his channels of marketing like direct selling, content marketing, social media marketing etc.